Nobody wants to get old. We all dream of staying young forever. It’s something humans have wanted since the beginning of time. It’s this desire to stay young that spurred the tale of the Fountain of Youth. Most of us would give just about anything to stay in our prime forever. Of course, that’s just not possible. We all know that getting older is inevitable. The key, however, is to age as gracefully as possible…to hold onto your youthful looks, energy, and performance as long as you can.
The good news is that there are plenty of things you can do to stay young. If you follow these simple tips and commit to them, you could slow the aging process and look and feel younger.
The following are the most important tips to stay young:
- Include plenty of antioxidants and healthy fats in your diet—You’ve undoubtedly heard the phrase “you are what you eat” a thousand times by now, but that doesn’t make it any less true. The fact is that your diet plays an enormous role in how quickly you age. If you’re feeding your body unhealthy, trashy foods, you’re going to age faster than you should. However, if you maintain a healthy diet that’s rich in antioxidants and also includes healthy fats, you’ll stay healthier and look younger. For antioxidants, try different types of berries. For heart-healthy fats, enjoy wild salmon, avocado, and even walnuts.
- Get plenty of sleep—A lot of people say, “I’ll sleep when I die!” They brag about how they can get just a few hours of sleep and still power through their day. What they fail to realize, however, is the importance of a good night’s sleep. Your body needs recovery time every day. Lack of sleep can lead to stress, weight gain, fatigue, and a host of other health issues. And let’s face it, you can tell when someone hasn’t been getting enough sleep. They look tired and just plain old. Make sure you’re getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night so you can look and feel younger.
- Try an HGH supplement—Chances are that you’ve heard of HGH in the news. Athletes have been known to take these supplements to help improve their performance on the field. But HGH isn’t just for the elite. The average person could benefit from HGH supplementation as well. As you get older, your body’s HGH levels decrease, causing you to look and feel older. By taking a safe HGH releaser like this one, you could start getting your youth back. This could help you improve skin quality, increase muscle tone, burn fat, and even stave off memory loss. Of course, before taking any supplement it’s important to always do your research to make sure you’re taking a safe product.
- Read lots of books—Multiple studies have found that reading helps keep your mind young. Think of it as doing exercises for your brain. When your mind is engaged in reading and absorbing information, it’s essentially working out and staying fit. Staying active mentally and challenging your mind can be very helpful in preventing age-related cognitive decline. That way, not only will you look young, but you’ll feel young on the inside, too.
- Exercise—Everyone already knows that exercise is good for the body, but many people don’t realize just how good it is. Research shows that exercising on a regular basis can help reduce the inflammation in your body that’s associated with the aging process. Furthermore, exercising can help reduce your risks for a whole litany of age-related health issues, including decreased brain function, heart disease, and so much more. The simple truth is that when you work out regularly, you look and feel better. You have more energy. You just feel younger. Hit the gym at least a few times a week to enjoy these great benefits.
If you want to stay young, you’re going to have to work for it. There is a Fountain of Youth, but it’s not the one we’ve read about in fairy tales. It’s a Fountain of Youth that’s attainable for all of us if we’re willing to put in the work.
Samuel Valdez is a nutritionist with a strong belief that healthy eating is the key to a long, happy life. He shares his nutrition advice with clients and also readers across the web.