Remember when I blogged about my bucket list? Let me just say I was too eager to crash out the items in that list that I decided for myself to shop for baking tools and ingredients yesterday. Crazy much? You bet. I asked my mom to accompany me since she knows best. I started doing the batter the morning of Friday and decided to take the muffin tray and some more ingredients to the office. Yes. We have an oven at the office!
I decided upon a basic recipe that I found online since this will be basically my first time to bake on my own with only the aid of a printed recipe. Genius! HAHA :D At the end of this post I will be including the recipe. The first batch of cupcakes were a huge fail. The surface was crisp but the insides weren't. I also had a problem with the oven so the first batch didn't cook so well. And I will remember not to swipe too much oil in the muffin tray. Or better yet, none at all. The second one, I filled batter onto nine holes and after a few minutes, it turned out well!
I also did a chocolate frosting for the mini-cupcakes and yes, I should have reduced the sugar because it came out too sweet! I blame it on the sweetened cocoa. I really did learn a lot from this experience and I'm looking forward to more recipes and a lot of baking specially since Christmas is looming ahead of us!
Plain White Cake Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter or shortening at room temperature.
1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla OR 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put shortening in a mixing bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients together in separate bowl.
- With a mixer, mix the dry ingredients in slowly with the shortening.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and the egg to the dry ingredients and beat until flour is fully moistened.
- Add the remaining milk and the vanilla and/or almond flavoring and beat for about another minute.
- Place paper liners in muffin pan and fill halfway full with the batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Makes about 18 cupcakes.
· 1/4 cup butter
· 1 cup sugar
· 1/4 cup milk, low fat is fine
· 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Beat frosting with a handheld electric mixer until the frosting stiffens to a spreading consistency, but don't overbeat. Makes enough to frost a 13x9-inch cake.